New Appointments:

+233 20 211 0812

You are here

HomeGetting StartedWhy a Fertility Specialist?

Why a Fertility Specialist?

When it comes to your personal health care, you are often called upon to make choices. For example, for general health care you probably turn to a primary care physician, general practitioner or other health care provider with a broad knowledge of medicine. For more specific care, like obstetrics or gynecology, you no doubt see a board-certified OB/GYN who has completed a residency in this specialty. A specialist has additional knowledge and training in a specific area of medicine. 

So it makes sense that when you decide to seek help for infertility you'll want to consult with a fertility specialist, who are all triple board-certified in OB/GYN, reproductive endocrinology and infertility. 

Reproductive endocrinology is a sub-specialty of OB/GYN that starts with four years of medical school and four additional years in an Obstetrics and Gynecology residency where the emphasis is on the medical and surgical treatment of disorders of the female reproductive tract, the care of pregnant women and delivering babies. 

After completing the OB/GYN residency, a physician who wants to become a fertility specialist applies for a fellowship in Reproductive Endocrinology that entails three additional years of intensive study and training that focuses on the human female reproductive system. 

Fertility and reproduction is governed largely by hormones produced by the endocrine system. A reproductive endocrinologist's specialties include polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS), congenital uterine anomalies, endometriosis and other disorders of the female reproductive system, hypothalamic pituitary dysfunction, congenital adrenal hyperplasia, tubal factor infertility, male factor infertility, in vitro fertilization (IVF), and fertility preservation. 

Contact us for more information on fertility testing and fertility treatment.

More Getting Started